During professional development days, teachers and staff read and discussed selections from the book:
A Mindset for Learning
Teaching the Traits of Joyful, Independent Growth
The books focused on 5 traites
- optimism—putting aside fear and resistance to learn something new
- persistence—keeping at it, even when a task is hard
- flexibility—trying different ways to find a solution
- resilience—bouncing back from setbacks and learning from failure
- empathy—learning by putting oneself in another person’s shoes.
After studying the traits, the 2nd Grade team decided to focus on empathy with an emphasis on Kindness. Students and teachers worked vigorously on shooting, editing and publishing their own video on Kindness.
Here’s that video…